The Ethnology Notebooks. 2020. № 4 (154), 954—959
THE FIRST SPORTING GUIDE-BOOK BY HALYCHYNA OF 1898
- ORCID ID http://orcid.org/0000-0003-2473-6998
- Junior Researcher of the Vasyl Stefanyk
- National Scientific Library of Ukraine in Lviv
- National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine,
- in Department of Scientific Bibliography,
- 2, Stefanyka str., 79000, Lviv, Ukraine,
- Contacts: e-mail: email@example.com
Abstract. In the process of historical development in parallel with the acceleration of rate of life in XIX century humanity gradually realized the necessity of piling up and systematization of descriptive regional ethnographic material, as a result began to appear editions that satisfied the requirements of travellers in local information during their trips. These were books that can be constantly carried with itself and the name «guide-book» was attached to it. It is a short edition of reference book of pocket format, with illustrations or without them, with obligatory geographical and historical description of place of stay, with information about known architectural sights, historical places, glorified habitants, ways of report, with maps, charts and orientation plans.
Today in Ukrainian historical science the necessity to concentrate research attention on such publicly meaningful and practically unstudied segment as guide-books by our region became imminent. The research object of the article is the first sporting guide-book by Halychyna of 1898, specially written for the representatives of bicycle sport that began actively to develop at the end of ХIХ century. Increase of popularity of the cycle racing entailed the publication of special practical guide-book for the necessaries of cyclists.
The research subject of the article is the concrete factological filling of analysed edition. Biographic information is given about the author of guide-book — Polish journalist, publicist, publisher, sporting figure, popularizer of the cycle racing in Halychyna Kazymyr Gemerling. It is also watched the public reception of the first bicycle guide-book by our region — opinions and reviews in press.
The specialized bicycle guide-book by Halychyna became the novation of bicycle motion of the region, promoting it to further development and providing practical foundations of its existence.
Keywords: guide-book, bicycle sport, route, Halychyna, Kazymyr Gemerling.
- Movna, M. (2013). Lviv guide-books (in the second half of the XIX-th — early XXI-th centuries): historico-bibliographical research. Lviv [in Ukrainian].
- Jaremko, I. (2007). Kazymyr Hemerling. Encyclopedia of Lviv (Vol. 1, pp. 509). Lviv: Litopys [in Ukrainian].
- (1898). For bikers. Slovo Polske, 169, 3.Lviv [in Polish].
- Hemerling, K. (Ed.). (1898). For bikers guidebook of Galicia. Lviv [in Polish].
- Estreicher, K. (Ed.). (1907). Polish bibliography of XIX century. Year 1881—1900 (Vol. 2). Kracow [in Polish].
- Fidzinsky, F. (1961). Hemerling Kazimierz. Polski Slownik Biograficzny (Vol. 9/3, notebook 42, pp. 376—377). Wroclaw; Warsaw; Kracow [in Polish].
- (1895). «Kolo». Przewodnik Gimnastyczny «Sokol», 2, 23—24 [in Polish].
- Hemerling, K. (Ed.). (1895). «Kolo». Sport calendar for bikers year 1895. Lviv [in Polish].
- Mikulsky, S. (1908). Great address book of Kracow, Lviv, Podhore [in Polish].
- New books. (1898). Dziennik Polski, 198, 2: Literature and artistic notes. [in Polish].
- Opalinsky, D. (2013). Travel Guidebooks at Polish lands in period of occupations: historical-sources study (Issue 2). Krosno [in Polish].
- Opalinsky, D. (2010). Bicycle across Galicia: notes in margins of text guidebook for cyclists from XIX century. Quarter of history material culture, 3/4, 419—432 [in Polish].
- Pieniazek Y. (1898). Literature. Kolo, 13, 152—153 [in Polish].
- (1898). Guidebook of Bibliography, 8/9 [in Polish].
- Sonnenschein, M. (1926). Year book of Lviv. Lviv [in Polish].
- Sonnenschein, M. (1930). Year book of Lviv. Lviv [in Polish].
- (1898). Third club of cyclists. Dziennik Polski, 163, 2 [in Polish].
- (1898). From publishing movement. Gazeta Lwowska, 150, 3 [in Polish].