The Ethnology Notebooks. 2021. # 2 (158), P. 255—261
- Scopus ID: 55804653800
- Doctor of Sciences in History and Philology,
- Professor of the chair of Ukrainian language
- and literature of the department
- of philosophy of Zagreb university (Croatia)
- Ivana Luiza, 3, 10000, Zagreb
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
LESYA UKRAINKA AS A REPRESENTATIVE OF UKRAINIAN MODERN
The purpose of the article is to highlight the work of Lesya Ukrainka as a representative of Ukrainian modern.
Actuality of theme. The article is devoted to the 150th anniversary of the birth of the outstanding poetess, whose work is interpreted as a clear example of modern culture, a concept that, unfortunately, is not present enough in studies about Lesya. The article also presents Croatian Ukrainian studies at the University of Zagreb, which emerged as a result of mutual recognition of the independence of Ukraine and Croatia, and as a celebration of the 30th anniversary
The subject of the research is the presentation of the life and work of Lesya Ukrainka in Croatian Ukrainian studies by publishing a monograph on the writer in the context of Ukrainian modernism. Modern culture is presented in architecture, painting, arts and crafts, literature in the vast European space, which belongs to Ukraine. The mythological symbolism of the writer’s work is considered as a typical stylistic feature of modernism, which is illustrated by visual examples in the architecture of painting of the Ukrainian secession, modernism. The focus is on the imagological aspect of creativity — the reflection of national problems in the context of world culture as a counter discourse to imperial discourse. The analysis is based on comparative-typological and historical-cultural methods.
The conclusions state that Lesya Ukrainka’s work belongs to the Art Nouveau style, and the writer is characterized as a clear representative of Ukrainian Art Nouveau — a concept, unfortunately, is insufficiently covered in Ukrainian literary criticism. However, it is widely represented in architecture as Ukrainian Art Nouveau and in painting as Ukrainian Art Nouveau, which together with the works of writers creates a majestic and rich ensemble of Ukrainian Art Nouveau. The need to show the connection of Ukrainian modernism with folk art deserves special attention.
Keywords: Ukrainian modern, imagology, Lesya Ukrainka, Repin, imperial discourse.
- Matusyak, Agnieszka, & Demska-Budzulyak, L. (2016). In the circle of Ukrainian secession. Selected problems of creative poetics of the Young Muse writers. Translated from the Polish by Lesya Demska-Budzuliak: Pyramid [in Ukrainian].
- Pashchenko, Ye., & Fuderer, T. (2020). Lesya Ukrainka and the culture of Ukrainian modernity. On the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the birth of Lesya Ukrainka. Ucrainiana-Croatica Library (Book 23). Zagreb: Department of Ukrainian Language and Literature; Faculty of Philosophy in Zagreb; Association of Croatian-Ukrainian Cooperation [in Croatian].
- Pashchenko, Eugene. (2015). Juraj Krizanic and Ukraine. Builders of the European Christian Union. Zagreb: Matica hrvatska [in Croatian].
- Pashchenko, Eugene. (2016). Croatian graves 1914—1918. Carpathians, Galicia, Bukovina. Zagreb: Hrvatski drzavni arhiv [in Croatian].
- (1990). Ukrainian avant-garde 1910—1930. Zagreb [in Croatian].