The Ethnology Notebooks. 2021. № 6 (162), 1385—1396
UKRAINIAN FEMALE LABOUR IMMIGRANTS IN THE ITALIAN CAMPANIA REGION: BETWEEN ADAPTATION TO NEW LIFE STYLE AND INTEGRATION
- ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000000228879307
- PhD in Sociology and Social Research, Department of Social Sciences,
- University of Naples Federico II Vico Monte della Pietа, 1 80138 — Napoli, Italy,
- Contacts: е-mail: email@example.com
Abstract. The main issue of this article is immigration and integration processes. The research consists of two parts. The first part is an attempt to point out the main features of integration processes in the United States and Europe and moreover to draw attention to the way the term «integration» is used in academic and political areas. The aim of the second part is to focus on particular examples of adaptation to new living conditions by Ukrainian immigrants in Italy. In accordance with this, specialists have conducted a survey with 25 women working in Italian Campania region and made an attempt to analyze economic, social and cultural sides of the people’s life abroad. This researches are the relevance of this article.
The study highlighted many problems faced by immigrant female workers abroad, usually related to living conditions, leisure activities and moral stress as a consequence of social isolation, especially for women living at their employers’ places. The article is based on qualitative research method: a detailed questionnaire of 55 questions divided into 6 separate blocks has been written in order to prepare for in- depth interviews.
Keywords: integration, assimilation, Italy, Ukraine, Naples, female labor immigrants.
- Sciortino, G. (2015). Is it possible to measure the integration of immigrants? The state of the art. Notebook of the Department of Sociology and Social Research, 63 [in Italian].
- Thomas, W.I, & Znaniecki, F.W. (1918—1921). The Polish peasant in Europe and America. Monograph of an immigrant group. University of Chicago Press.
- Park, R., Burgess, E.W., & McKenzie R.D. (1925). The City: Suggestions for the Study of Human Nature in the Urban Environment. University of Chicago Press].
- Gubert, R., & Tomasi, L. (Ed.). (1994). In Robert E. Park and the theory of the «Melting pot». Trento: Reverdito [in Italian].
- Alba, R., & Nee, V. (2003). Remaking the American Mainstream. Assimilation and Contemporary Immigration. Harvard University Press.
- Kazal, R.A. (1995). Revisting Assimilation: The Rise, Fall, and Reappraisal of a Concept in American Ethnic History. The American Historical Review, 2 (Vol. 100).
- Ambrosini, M. (2020). The integration of immigrants: a concept map. In Coccia B. and Di Sciullo L. (Ed.). The forgotten integration. Reflections for an Italian model of participatory coexistence between immigrants and natives. Rome [in Italian].
- Catarci, M. (2014). Critical considerations on the notion of integration of migrants. REMHU, 43 (Vol. 22) [in Italian].
- Dal Mas F. (28/06/2019). Migranti. Salvini’s latest provocation: a wall between Italy and Slovenia. Avvenire. Retrieved from: https://www.avvenire.it/attualita/pagine/lultima- provocazione-un-muro-tra-italia-e-slovenia [in Italian].
- Stumpf, J. (2006). The Crimmigration Crisis: Immigrants, Crime, and Sovereign Power. American University Law Review (Vol. 56).
- (2021). Ministry of the Interior. Citizenship. Retrieved from: https://www.interno.gov.it/it/temi/cittadinanza-e-altri-diritti-civili/cittadinanza [in Italian].
- Averchuk, R. (2019). Undocumented migrants and honored citizens: how Ukrainians are trying to integrate in Italy. Hromadske. Society. Retrieved from: https://hromadske.ua/posts/migranti-bez-dokumentiv-ta-zasluzheni-gromadyani- yak-ukrayinci-namagayutsya-integruvatisya-v-italiyi [in Ukrainian].
- Di Sciullo, L. (Ed.). (2020). Models in fragments … and model fragments? The singular case of Italy, between explicit segregation and implicit integration. In Coccia, B., & Di Sciullo L. The forgotten integration. Reflections for an Italian model of participatory coexistence between immigrants and natives. Roma [in Italian].
- Riccio, B. (Ed.). (2014). Anthropology and migrations. Rome; Cisu [in Italian].
- Capello, C., Cingolani, P., & Vietti, F. (2021). Ethnography of migrations. Research themes and methods. Rome: Carocci [in Italian].
- (2019). Statistical Dossier on Immigration. Roma: Confronti [in Italian].
- Vianello, F.A. (2009). Migrate alone. Transnational ties between Ukraine and Italy. Milan: Franco Angeli [in Italian].
- Gavrylyshyn, P. (2014). Ukrainian Labour Immigration in Italy (1991—2011). Brusturiv: Discursus [in Ukrainian].
- Solari, C.D. (2018). On the Shoulders of Grandmothers: Gender, Migration, and Post-Soviet Nation-State Build. New York: Routledge.